[Discuss] site monitoring suggestions?

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Sat Dec 19 19:44:46 EST 2015

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 03:40:01PM -0500, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have to watch a website.  If it goes down I need to know.  Pure Windows environment.  Hosted locally.  In heavy use globally.  If it goes down I need to know.  I understand "goes down" needs to be defined better as well as "need to know".  I don't care about bandwidth stats.  Only if it is not reachable.  We collect stats in other ways.
>
> Any suggestions for third party monitoring software?  I'm tempted to just spin up a hosted vm and write my own...

I used Pingdom until they started to send marketing to the
address I gave them for paging.

Anturis has a free level which will work for what you want.
They don't send marketing to the paging address, and you can
specify several users with different rights.

What I rely on, though, is mon.

https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/admin/mon/

Yes, it's written in Perl. Yes, it was last updated in 2001.
No, it doesn't have a fancy HTML5 GUI.

Still works really well, and writing a new monitor for it
is quite simple.

-dsr-