[Discuss] SQL discussion

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Tue Jan 13 15:30:35 EST 2015

> On 01/13/2015 02:59 PM, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
>> Its funny, the like/dislike thing. I have never thought of it in this
>> way. SQL is what it is, just another technology.
>
> Technology is full of aesthetic considerations!
>
> Macintosh vs. Windows, IOS vs. Android, emacs vs. vi, Pascal vs. C, AC
> vs. DC.

There are plenty of technical discussions that can be had here.

> Yes, there are concrete technical differences, but Edison--a level
> headed man and very practical-

Yes, Tesla was crazy, but Edison could hardly have been called practical
or level headed. And YES! his hatred of a technology kept him from using
the better tool.

>-hated alternating current. He was wrong.

Yes, you are making my point.

> I think he was biased by aesthetic considerations. I think his
> brilliance was based on having really good instinct on what were good
> ideas and good approaches, and I guess that he couldn't always
> articulate why, but it served him well. Mostly.

Edison was a bright guy (no pun intended), but his "genius" is up for
debate. He was more a crafty business guy than huge inventor. He had lots
of help.