[Discuss] Home server

Joe Polcari Joe at Polcari.com
Mon Jan 26 16:05:19 EST 2015

I have quite a few FreeNAS boxes in service right now and that is not how
they work.

-----Original Message-----
From: Discuss [mailto:discuss-bounces+joe=polcari.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of
Richard Pieri
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 2:57 PM
To: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Re: [Discuss] Home server

On 1/26/2015 11:54 AM, Joe Polcari wrote:
> Automatic updates - well checking, it still requires you to say 'doit'.

Look deeper: FreeNAS runs from images. When you update FreeNAS you
download a new image and that image is added to the boot loader.

"Installing" FreeNAS to a fixed drive entails using another host to
install the image to the drive and then moving the drive to the FreeNAS
host. Upgrades are done the same way: remove the drive, install a new
image, return it. Pain in the behind and a waste of a perfectly good SSD
that would be better used for ZIL.

One way to look at the difference between FreeNAS and PC-BSD is Android
vs. Ubuntu. Similar idea: FreeNAS and PC-BSD share the same kernel and
user space but in practice the former is a file service appliance while
the latter is a full-on computing system.

NB for Rohan: FreeNAS has a recommended minimum of 8GB RAM. PC-BSD has a
more modest 1GB minimum with 2-4GB recommended. If the system supports
two DDR2 sticks then I strongly recommend upgrading to 4GB at the least
regardless of what you run on it.

--
Rich P.