[Discuss] NAS: buy vs. build

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 11:11:43 EDT 2015

On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 9:38 AM, F. O. Ozbek <ozbek at gmx.com> wrote:
> Didn't IBM leave the hardware business entirely (including the servers last
> year)?
> You probably purchased Lenovo servers labeled as "IBM servers".

If Intel architecture, yes.
They were doing the off-shore builds prior to sale, so as with the
laptops, the first generation or two post-sale are IBM designed, and
wear IBM skins when sold by IBM enterprise solutions. The higher end
boxes have very enterprise-y reliability/repair features, good for the
biggest clusters. The lower end boxes weren't much more featureful
than whitebox.

 Unclear to me from the PR on the sale if IBM still owns their
Power/Cell architecture underlying AIX OS.

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux