[Discuss] NAS: buy vs. build

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 20:11:46 EDT 2015

On 7/4/2015 9:38 AM, F. O. Ozbek wrote:
> Didn't IBM leave the hardware business entirely (including the servers
> last year)?

IBM sold the System x business to Lenovo. IBM retains its System z and
Power Systems businesses.

> You probably purchased Lenovo servers labeled as "IBM servers".

Other way around: we purchased an IBM server and two IBM storage arrays
with Lenovo badges on them.

> Much better option would have been to purchase SuperMicro servers instead.

Not really. It would have been a hassle trying to get the MIT VP Finance
Office to approve the purchase whereas the IBM/Lenovo vendor was
recommended by VPF.

--
Rich P.