[Discuss] Linux on laptops

Mike Small smallm at SDF.ORG
Thu Nov 12 12:33:07 EST 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 12:11:31PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > Perhaps, but you can get a lot more (except processor speed) for your
> > money.  I've bought five that way since 2000, and only had reliability
> > problems with one.
>
> U sure? I can go to Costco right now and bag a multicore modern
> processor with 4GB of RAM and well over 500GB of RAM for $400. How much
> less do you have to spend for a working used computer?

I only paid my roommate $150 for her HP Elitebook 8440p a couple years
ago. It has half that for hard drive space (which I don't find
confining) but does have the 4 GB RAM.  The CPU is older but he
did say "except processor speed." Probably I should have given her
more but I don't like the machine very much, neither the style and
weight nor the fact that it has an nvidia card.

Haven't tried it recently but it is still possible to get a "working
used computer" for around $0 isn't it, I mean if you wait long enough on
freecycle, CL or your work is discarding things, especially if you
don't care if it's a laptop or not?

--
Mike Small
smallm at sdf.org