[Discuss] Linux on laptops

Edward Ned Harvey (blu) blu at nedharvey.com
Fri Nov 13 07:56:46 EST 2015

> From: Discuss [mailto:discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On
> Behalf Of Steve Litt
>
> U sure? I can go to Costco right now and bag a multicore modern
> processor with 4GB of RAM and well over 500GB of RAM for $400. How much
> less do you have to spend for a working used computer?

That sounds like a bunch of parts to assemble into a desktop or workstation. The question was about laptops - but it's irrelevant -

In my experience, buying used systems gets you similar specs for about half the cost. If you're willing to accept a system that's a couple years older, in terms of specs and remaining lifespan.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Laptops/20263/cat.html?sort=Recommended

Get your used macbook air or macbook pro for $700, thinkpad T520 for $390, latitude E5420 for $275