[Discuss] some people help too much

Matthew Gillen me at mattgillen.net
Sun Sep 20 18:29:02 EDT 2015

On 9/19/2015 3:51 PM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> Short funny story.
>
> They other day I was setting up a router and in the docs it said to
> go to (don't click here) 'http://sprinthotspot'.  No ending.  The
> router I suppose then shows you the config page.  But my browser, in
> this case Safari, automatically appended a .com or something which
> sent me to an attack site.

Brilliant. That's actually worse than M$.  On the very rare occasion I
have to use IE for something, it does something that always irritated
me:  if you type a raw ip address in the address bar without also typing
the full 'http://', IE will not make a request to the IP you told it to.
 Rather, it will do a bing /search/ for that IP.

I suppose that's more of a nuisance though compared to what Safari is
doing, which has a very real chance of causing harm right out of the
gate (doing a bing/google search for 127.0.0.1 isn't going to have an
attack site on the first few pages).

Matt