[Discuss] Cloud-backup solutions for Linux?

Matt Shields matt at mattshields.org
Thu Sep 24 15:22:59 EDT 2015

ownCloud has version control (
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/8.1/user_manual/files/version_control.html),
although you need to keep an eye on your server drive size.  It will start
to purge older versions if your disks exceed 50%.  But by your definition
this would still be considered a backup.

Also since I never delete from my S3 bucket where I have a nightly sync
from ownCloud to, the risk of losing everything is low.  I also have up to
24 hours to recover files that might have been written over.

Given that I already have enough safeguards for my personal needs, should
the need arise I could easily modify the sync process to do monthly full
backups (tar/gz), then incremental tar/gz for files that are new or
modified. As I mentioned, my solution may not be for everyone since I
already have cloud solutions in place for my business, which makes it
cheaper.  But it's easily scalable to the amount of redundancy I want.

Matt