[Discuss] Windows Subsystem for Linux

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 11:15:57 EDT 2016

On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 12:17 AM, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey
<mark at buttery.org> wrote:
> I can see it becoming a big hit with system administrators. Not just
> to run Linux applications, but also to use bash as a shell rather than
> PowerShell. Admins who work with both Windows and Linux will
> appreciate being able to work on both platforms with a single shell.

Having used both Cygwin and MKS TK shells & Gnu utils on Win in prior
decades, my question would be how well does this shell integrate with
windoes EXEs ?   I found i Cygwin shell didn't pass WIN ENV vars
through to Win EXEs but MKS had an interoperable choice at install
that made scripting execution of MS's own EXEs from MKS quite
practical. (Although for Office/OLE remote control, perl Win32 modules
beat shell or VB.)

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com