[Discuss] 4K (or 5K) resolution for Linux desktop

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 13:52:55 EST 2016

On 1/6/2016 1:24 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> I use a 6x10 (pixel) font in emacs and xterm.  Using a 9x15 font at
> twice the linear resolution would let me get quite a lot more on the
> screen.

50% more. Which is more but the other 50% is wasted by the upscaling.
You would need a physically larger display to offset that waste.

> I'm currently using a 10 point font for general purpose on my laptop;
> I set my display to lie and claim 72 dpi.  8 (in particular) and 9
> point fonts are harder to read not so much because they're smaller as
> because the screen doesn't have enough pixels to render them as
> cleanly as the 10 point font.

I suggest that this has more to do with your choice of fonts. The X
bitmap fonts in particular are absolutely horrible. Try Cousine,
currently my preferred monospaced font.

--
Rich P.