[Discuss] 4K (or 5K) resolution for Linux desktop

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jan 6 13:24:49 EST 2016

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 13:13:11 -0500, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On 1/6/2016 12:53 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>> But (at least for me) it doesn't need to be the same size if the
>> resolution is higher.
>
> Perhaps not the same size but close enough. I doubt that you can go from
> 10 point to 5 point just because the underlying pixel density is four
> times greater. You might be able to go from 10 point to 8 point without
> straining but you're still upscaling which means you're wasting much of
> that alleged "improved definition". Marketing buzzwords like
> "revolutionary" and "retina display" don't change basic geometry.

I use a 6x10 (pixel) font in emacs and xterm.  Using a 9x15 font at
twice the linear resolution would let me get quite a lot more on the
screen.

I'm currently using a 10 point font for general purpose on my laptop;
I set my display to lie and claim 72 dpi.  8 (in particular) and 9
point fonts are harder to read not so much because they're smaller as
because the screen doesn't have enough pixels to render them as
cleanly as the 10 point font.

--Eric Crampton