[Discuss] Are passwords even long enough?

IngeGNUe ingegnue at riseup.net
Thu Jul 7 08:50:35 EDT 2016

On 07/06/16 23:59, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On 7/6/2016 11:04 PM, IngeGNUe wrote:
>> Yes I know I was very strong about it but that is Very rare, especially
>> if you're not downloading software from untrusted sources.
>
> Guess again. There are 4885 known vulnerabilities (CVE numbers) in all
> versions of WordPress core, plugins and themes as of this writing:
>
> https://wpvulndb.com/

Now, now, we're moving the goal post. First it was spyware, then it was
malware in general, and now vulnerabilities? These are all distinct
categories.

> That's worse than Microsoft's track record of 4399 CVE numbers for all
> of their products since 1999:
>
> https://www.cvedetails.com/vendor/26/Microsoft.html
>
>> I doubt it. I don't do this. (Unless Google Apps are *by definition* a
>> federated service.)
>
> Single sign-on is a subset of federated identity, so yes, Google's
> authentication is a federated identity service by definition.

I'm having trouble understanding yet why it would be a risk for
passwords as long as the federation remains within Google Apps (Drive,
YouTube, Docs, Mail, the whole potato)