[Discuss] Systemd & not Re: I, uh, deleted the wrong kernel....

Mike Small smallm at sdf.org
Sun Oct 2 19:42:18 EDT 2016

Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> writes:
> ​Probably time to ask ...
>
> What's the state of Systemd-free variant distros?
> Are there any that closely follow others'  updates ​or layer repos ?

Slackware just released 14.2 a couple months back. Not sure what you
mean in the second sentence. Package versions here:
http://www.slackware.com/releasenotes/packages14.2.php

Perl version: PACKAGE NAME:  perl-5.22.2-i586-1.txz

The way he does security updates is different than Debian. There seems
to be a case by case judgement call but for many things, firefox for
instance, you often get version updates before the next release via
the security updates.

The only thing I kind of dislike about slackware is the directory
structure in the 64 bit version. Libraries go into /lib64 and
/usr/lib64.  Obviously this is a pretty petty criticism, but not really
needing multilib I find it annoying to have these directory names. I
prefer OpenBSD's approach, which is to not bother with multilib and have
simple expected names like /usr/lib and /lib.

--
Mike Small
smallm at sdf.org