[Discuss] I, uh, deleted the wrong kernel....

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Fri Sep 30 12:08:22 EDT 2016

Fixed.  Big sigh, cold drink, already started the process of updating my
backup (which did NOT have that kernel. I checked).

So I did the  USB boot/mnt/chroot trick to basically get a running
system with the hard drive as root.  Very neat. Have to remember that
one for sure.  Also had to copy /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf so
networking worked right.

I ran an apt-get clean and an apt-get update.  Once apt wasn't trying to
install stuff from other failed experiments, and just install what I
asked, it was able to reinstall the *28* kernel, abi file, etc with no
problems.

One other note: When I updated grub while in the chrooted shell, it
added the existing kernels to the menu, which is what I needed to move
forward. It did not add Windows (remember this is a dual boot machine).
But once I got it booted into Linux and updated Grub again, it found
Windows and added that back in.

Side note: I think I just decided this is my last dual-boot desktop
system.  Decent hardware is too cheap to put up with this. Currently I
only boot into Windows for gaming.  But I do that almost every day. That
means I'm rebooting my machine twice a day, and I can't quickly do
something on Linux while I'm booted into Windows.  I will also add, that
I'm quite impressed with Windows 10, and how it's stealing features from
Linux, like multiple desktops.

I also have homework assignments to look more into grub, and into
apt-get autoclean.  My problem is solved, but I need to know them better.

Thank you all for your help and advise.  Hope I included enough links
and details for the next person who faces this.