[Discuss] LibreOffice and .docx files

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Dec 11 22:56:08 EST 2017

On 12/11/2017 10:05 PM, Nancy Allison wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> I painfully conclude that I must install Word on my Ubuntu 16.04 machine. I
> need to be able to handle Word files consistently.
>
> So I opened Synaptic Package Manager and searched for Microsoft Word. No
> luck.
>
> What do I do? How do I get it installed?
>
> I know, it pains me! But I don't see a way around it. All suggestions
> gratefully received!
>
> --Nancy

Run a Windows virtual machine inside VirtualBox, which has MS Word
installed in it.  I've been doing that for years.

Sad but true that when it comes to compatibility with the (non-Unix)
rest of the world, sometimes there's really no alternative but to use
Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.  At least when you run them in a VM you
run them as minimally - and as contained - as possible.

HTH,

DR