[Discuss] deadmanish login?

Shankar Viswanathan shankar.viswan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 15:03:28 EST 2017

On 02/04/2017 12:55 PM, Daniel Barrett wrote:
> GnuPG.
> I store usernames, passwords, and site names in a 3-column,
> GnuPG-encrypted text file. To recall a password for a given host, I
> run a homebrew script that's more or less:
>
>    gpg -d mysecrets.gpg | grep <host>

There is a utility called "pass" that is effectively a shell-script
around gpg to make the task of managing the passwords a little easier:
https://www.passwordstore.org/

It uses git to keep track of password changes and you can use normal git
push/pull to synchronize between multiple machines (if you so choose).
It can either display your password in clear text or copy it to the
clipboard for 45 seconds.

I just started playing around with it and I am considering switching to
it from my homebrew setup (similar to what Dan describes above). Folks
have a built a cross-platform GUI frontend (based on Qt), but I prefer
the CLI approach.

-Shankar