[Discuss] KVM, virt-manager, and CentOS7

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Feb 9 11:47:45 EST 2017

Hi,

On Thu, February 9, 2017 11:40 am, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> Here's the problem with all this.
>
> 8 characters for a name. Yes, in a hypothetical sense you have
> 2.183401056×10^14 possible passwords if you use 8 ascii alpha/numeric
> characters with no punctuation characters, but the vast majority of that
> space are random strings not suitable for nicknames or meaningful
> identifiers. For instance, I can't see that any remaining meaningful
> permutations of "john smith" could possibly be left. How many email
> addresses do they assign a year? How many back-logged names did they
> create at first?
>
> When an alum dies, does their email address become available?

Generally @mit.edu addresses are "recovered" approximately 1-2 years after
they leave MIT.  There are exceptions for certain classes of people whose
accounts remain "sponsored".  It's unclear what happens if a sponsored
account owner passes.

Then there are "alum.mit.edu" accounts, which is MIT's "Email Forwarding
for Life", which allows more than 8 characters, so there's really no
issue.

-derek

>> Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> writes:

>>> MIT trivia: once you have a username, you can't change it.
>>>
>>> http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/dont-screw-up-your-username
>>
>> Only mostly true.  I know a handful of people who successfully changed
>> their usernames.  It's rare, and only done in extreme circumstances.
>> But it *can* be done.
>>
>>> -dsr-
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> --
>>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>        warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745