[Discuss] ten more years

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Wed Feb 14 11:32:33 EST 2018

On 02/14/2018 11:02 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> I expect that ten years from now, I will still be using an
> editor which is a descendant of vi in some form, and many of us
> will still be using emacs.

The watch my wife gave me when we got married is well over ten-years old
and works great.

The Pebble on my other wrist is much newer but on its last legs.

Wanting a Pebble replacement* I was just looking at a web site a friend
pointed me at, someplace selling "wearables". I seriously doubt anything
they make will last ten-years, but I don't really know. The web site
loads to damn slowly I can't be bothered to attempt a second click.

Twenty-years ago internet connections were slower than today, yet web
pages similar to this one loaded faster. When I see that I see a lack of
engineering. And that's pretty much how we build things these days, both
literally and figuratively.

-kb, the Kent who has been using emacs for 40-years, is still using it
this morning, and expects to be using it ten-years from now.

* Desired smart watch features:

  - Bright light makes the display easier to see not harder.
  - When I look at it there is something to see--without my needing to
    do anything extra.
  - Battery that runs for more than 24-hours without needing charging.
  - Battery that is replaceable.
  - Knows that it is a very limited device, mostly an accessory to my
"phone",
    forwarding asynchronous notifications.
  - No touchscreen that won't work with gloves or when wet. (It is a
limited
    device.)
  - Won't quit working when the manufacturer changes its business model.
  - Reliable.

Seems like a really demanding and far-fetched set of desires, but the
Pebble did it really well, but for that last two items (due to a design
flaw the screen likes to scramble, or go white).