[Discuss] ten more years

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Wed Feb 14 12:39:11 EST 2018

On 02/14/2018 12:13 PM, Jack Coats wrote:
> On the pages... Years ago there was a group called the 'Bandwidth
> Conservation Society'.  They suggested many things
> to keep web sites 'faster' even on slow networks.  We seem to have
> gone away from that expecting everyone to have
> a DS3 or better to their desktop direct from a backbone provider.

But I think my work internet connection is pretty good, and things still
load slowly. I think it is the "full stack" that is burning all that
time. My obsolete Android tablet only has 4 CPUs and 2GB of RAM, and
their server end is probably equally "pathetic"*.

-kb

* Irony alert: a 2013 Nexus 7 shouldn't have to be discarded as
pathetic. This calibre machine used to be supercomputer territory.