[Discuss] Things in Hidden, Magic . Files

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Wed Jan 17 12:31:56 EST 2018

Short version: Where are all the places to put things to change emacs's
behavior?

Longer version: I am an emacs person, programming in Python mostly these
days. So the other day I thought I should get modern (always a risk) and
get emacs to do clever tab-completion and stuff. I tried installing elpy.

It has its advantages, it has its drawbacks, but then I stumbled on a
*big* problem: source code debugging with pdb quit working. Emacs used
to open another pane and put an arrow next to the line about to be
executed. No longer. Naturally I suspect elpy.

So I did my best to uninstall it. And uninstall the apt-get stuff I
installed to make elpy happy.

My source code debugging is still not fixed.

I try debugging as another user and that does work. I try hiding my
.emacs file and .emacs.d directory in another directory, and it is still
not working.

Running Debian 9.

Ideas?

Thanks,