[Discuss] Things in Hidden, Magic . Files

Jerry Feldman gaf.linux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 12:52:19 EST 2018

I am a long time emacs user, but I found that I was having issues with
Python at Red Hat mostly concerning git, code reviews, and PEP8 compliance.
For Python I now use Atom (https://atom.io/)
Atom has a lot of packages that enhance the editor.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> wrote:

> Short version: Where are all the places to put things to change emacs's
> behavior?
>
> Longer version: I am an emacs person, programming in Python mostly these
> days. So the other day I thought I should get modern (always a risk) and
> get emacs to do clever tab-completion and stuff. I tried installing elpy.
>
> It has its advantages, it has its drawbacks, but then I stumbled on a
> *big* problem: source code debugging with pdb quit working. Emacs used to
> open another pane and put an arrow next to the line about to be executed.
> No longer. Naturally I suspect elpy.
>
> So I did my best to uninstall it. And uninstall the apt-get stuff I
> installed to make elpy happy.
>
> My source code debugging is still not fixed.
>
> I try debugging as another user and that does work. I try hiding my .emacs
> file and .emacs.d directory in another directory, and it is still not
> working.
>
> Running Debian 9.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -kb

Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 6F6BB6E7
Key fingerprint: 0EDC 2FF5 53A6 8EED 84D1  3050 5715 B88D 6F6B B6E7