[Discuss] Things in Hidden, Magic . Files

Mike Small smallm at sdf.org
Wed Jan 17 17:33:28 EST 2018

Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> writes:

> On 01/17/2018 12:31 PM, Kent Borg wrote:
>> It has its advantages, it has its drawbacks, but then I stumbled on
>> a *big* problem: source code debugging with pdb quit working. Emacs
>> used to open another pane and put an arrow next to the line about to
>> be executed. No longer. Naturally I suspect elpy.
>
> I think I have a workaround...
>
> I usually invoke pdb by dropping in my code:
>
>   import pdb ; pdb.set_trace()
>
> But I tried meta-X pdb and got an error, something about a string
> being nil? (I didn't write it down.) I tried tracing in emacs...and
> that make it work. I reboot and "import pdb ; pdb.set_trace()" fails,
> but meta-X
> pdb works...but thereafter it seems "import pdb ; pdb.set_trace()" now
> works.
>
> Weird.

So emacs has two debuggers. Even if you don't want to learn edebug
(which is too bad because it's my favourite debugger -- seriously, I'd
rather write elisp than common lisp or scheme cause I know no debugger
that compares to edebug -- way better than gdb and Perl's debugger), you
could at least get a stack trace by setting debug-on-error to true
before you reproduce the issue.

What you describe sounds like a module not loading early
enough. Something loads when you m-X pdb because of an autoload or
whatever, something that the other way can't make happen since that way
is only between, uh, what?, your python interpreter and the
comint/gud/gdb buffer.

--
Mike Small
smallm at sdf.org