[Discuss] Unusual error message after tar ops

Bill Horne bill at horne.net
Tue Jul 24 17:31:38 EDT 2018

Thanks for reading this.

I'm transitioning from one Ubuntu system to a new clone. Today, I used
tar to move all my existing files from the "old" machine to the "new"
one. Initial checks of the new machine showed the recent files that I
moved, so I though it went well.

However, when I tried to log into the new machine again after an hour or
two, I'm getting an unusual error message.

I'm able to log in using ssh with key-based authentication, but then I'm
receiving a "password:" prompt. I enter what should be the password for
the new machine, but then I get this message:

Password:
newgrp: failed to crypt password with previous salt: Invalid argument
Connection to (New machine name) closed.

All suggestion welcome, and thanks in advance.

Bill

--
Bill Horne
828-678-1548