[Discuss] Unusual error message after tar ops

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 18:01:02 EDT 2018

Clue may be 'newgrp' which is rather late in the SSH connection, that's
invoked while spawning the login shell.

It sounds like the desired User in Passwd has U#:G# that does not match the
group memberships.
see https://askubuntu.com/questions/856057/newgrp-function#856069

(Alternatively, the group # on restored $HOME and .ssh  may be an invalid
but I don't think that would cause this precise message?)

// Bill R