[Discuss] Unusual error message after tar ops

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 18:23:22 EDT 2018

On 7/24/2018 5:31 PM, Bill Horne wrote:
> I'm able to log in using ssh with key-based authentication, but then I'm
> receiving a "password:" prompt. I enter what should be the password for
> the new machine, but then I get this message:

Check that:

Private keys are owned by the user's default UID/GID with permissions no
more open than 600.

.ssh and $HOME are owned by the user's default UID/GID with permissions
no more open than 700.

All directories above $HOME are owned by the user's default UID/GID or
by root/root with permissions no more open than 755. This is new in
recent-ish versions of OpenSSH.

Any failure of the above causes sshd to reject key-based authentication.

> Password:
> newgrp: failed to crypt password with previous salt: Invalid argument
> Connection to (New machine name) closed.

I can think of a few possible causes but I think that the most likely is
that there is a GID mismatch for the account.

--
Rich P.