[Discuss] Surge Protection

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jun 3 19:31:46 EDT 2018

On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 08:37:14 -0400
Marco Milano <marco.milano at gmx.com> wrote:

> On 06/02/2018 08:33 AM, jbk wrote:
> > Mid morning last Thursday there was a brief (fraction of second)
> > power outage in my part of JP. It caused the power supply in both
> > running computers to die. Obviously my surge protectors are
> > outdated and need replacement. Any recommendations?
>
> If it was a brief power outage, surge protector is not going to help
> you, what you need is a small UPS.

jbk said "die". If he meant permanently destroyed, I think a better
surge protector *would* have helped, as perhaps there was a spike that
rode along with the outage. If he meant the computers turned off, then
yes, nothing short of a UPS would help that. I use a UPS, and it keeps
me working through an average of I'd say 3 brief outages per month.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2018 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28