[Discuss] full disk backups

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 10:37:14 EDT 2019

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 14:00:52 +0000
Timothy Lyons <lyons at geekcq.com> wrote:

> Sorry if I'm jumping into this late but I'd be remiss if I didn't
> throw restic into the mix. Simple, SECURE and flexible backups with
> multiple target options (local, cloud, etc).  Fully configurable as

Sorry... but... the terms "backup", "secure" and "cloud" do not belong
in the same sentence. If it's in a public cloud then it can be
compromised by a third party bad actor. Witness the Code Spaces breach.
Not saying you shouldn't use public cloud storage; saying you should be
cautious in your trust of it.

On the subject of Clonezilla: it's not a backup tool. It's an imaging
tool. It can be used as part of a backup system: the physical volume
analogue to copying a virtual machine's vdisk files to other storage.
Using it this way is cumbersome on Linux systems where realistically
the only thing that needs a low-level copy is the boot block of the
boot device and that only once. It would be more useful on a dual-boot
Windows/Linux machine using Clonezilla command line to clone the
Windows system volumes.

--
Rich Pieri