[Discuss] Cloud backup

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Sat Dec 14 17:43:37 EST 2019

Daniel Barrett wrote:
> On December 14, 2019, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>
> >I'm thinking of backing up the most recent snapshot to either Dropbox
> >or Google.
>
> I use linode.com. It's $5/month for a full-blown Linux VM with root
> access, your choice of distro, and 25GB of disk, and you can add
> network-attached storage for $1 per 10 GB per month. Very happy
> customer for years.

That's a reasonable price for VM services, but a terrible price
for backup storage. Consider Backblaze's business class service:

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage-pricing.html

which starts at $5/month per TB.

Their unlimited consumer service is $6/month, but requires their
software running on Windows or Mac OS. The business class
service is available on Linux.

-dsr-