[Discuss] Discuss Digest, Vol 103, Issue 12

Rich Braun richb at pioneer.ci.net
Wed Dec 18 12:57:58 EST 2019

Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> observed:
> I think you missed the point so I will rephrase the question: does your
> backup protect you in the event that your service provider of choice is
> rendered permanently inaccessible? Examples include but are not limited
> to the Megaupload data center seizure and Crashplan dropping consumer
> services.

I had already made a similar point earlier in this thread: it was me who posted "I always use two backup methods these days because undetected failures are laughably common..."

The same logic applies to end-of-life'd cloud services, where most of the time you get a heads-up that such action will be taken in the future. Seizures are pretty rare.

-rich