[Discuss] Application config files

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Fri Jul 12 13:40:01 EDT 2019

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I have an application that I wrote where I am using a .ini style file for
> config. I chose that as an afterthought but maybe JSON, YAML, or TOML might
> be better formats. I set it up that way because I thought my target
> audience might be more familiar with .ini. Right now the code has no
> capability to save the preferences, but that should be an option, so a more
> Linuxish config file might be better. I'm personally very comfortable with
> both YAML and JSON. Opinions? (My code is Python3/GTK3).

It usually doesn't matter.

If it's short, .ini is perfectly fine.

If it's a potentially long config file, the best thing you can
do is make it capable of reading a directory worth of files
to include in the main config, so that replacing a small bit
without affecting the rest is easy.

include /opt/application/config.d/*

-dsr-