[Discuss] timidity

johnny js0000 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 14:53:07 EDT 2019

hi

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 11:16:21AM -0400, dan moylan wrote:
>> timidiy installed and appears to run, but no audio is heard.

> 2. /dev/dsp IS there, and the driver is loaded, but something else has
>     it open/locked.

> Some things to try:
>   lsof /dev/dsp/*

i don't know if this came about when updating debian, but that's when it
came about for me. the problem was that timidity was starting *before*
pulseaudio, so pulseaudio couldn't get the audio "files" to write to.

i solved it by killing the running timidity process (as root), which
freed up the audio file semaphores (?) so that pulseaudio could grab
them and send the sound out my speakers. there's prolly a way i can stop
timidity from starting up, but for now, just manually killing that
(timidity) process works for me.

good luck!