[Discuss] timidity

dan moylan jdm at moylan.us
Thu Jul 25 15:27:59 EDT 2019

derek writes:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 11:16:21AM -0400, dan moylan wrote:
>
>> running fc29 on acer aspire E1-6860.
>
>> timidiy installed and appears to run, but no audio is heard.
>> using option -Od (default) complains the /dev/dsp isn't
>> there.  any suggestions?

> The two things that come to mind are:

> 1. /dev/dsp is in fact not there... the node may be
>    missing from /dev, or the driver may not be loaded.

> 2. /dev/dsp IS there, and the driver is loaded, but
>    something else has it open/locked.

> Some things to try:

> ls -l /dev/dsp

moylan 2019[1368] ls -l /dev/dsp
ls: cannot access '/dev/dsp': No such file or directory

> check dmsg output/syslog for errors about your sound hardware

> lsmod and grep on your driver name (assuming a modular kernel)

Module                  Size  Used by
snd_seq_dummy          16384  0
snd_hrtimer            16384  0
snd_hda_codec_realtek   126976  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    90112  1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     69632  1
snd_hda_intel          49152  6
snd_hda_codec         155648  4 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_core          102400  5 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hwdep              16384  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_seq                86016  1 snd_seq_dummy
snd                    94208  22 snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_timer,snd_pcm
soundcore              16384  1 snd
drm_kms_helper        212992  1 i915
drm                   487424  14 drm_kms_helper,i915

these are what appear to be sound modules, not that i know
what any of them does.  which one might be my driver?

johnny wrote:
> i don't know if this came about when updating debian, but
> that's when it came about for me. the problem was that
> timidity was starting *before* pulseaudio, so pulseaudio
> couldn't get the audio "files" to write to.

> i solved it by killing the running timidity process (as
> root), which freed up the audio file semaphores (?) so that
> pulseaudio could grab them and send the sound out my
> speakers. there's prolly a way i can stop timidity from
> starting up, but for now, just manually killing that
> (timidity) process works for me.

no timidity processes running here, except when i explicityl
call timidity from the command line.

thanks for your suggestions.

ole dan

j. daniel moylan