[Discuss] timidity

Anderson, Charles R cra at wpi.edu
Thu Jul 25 19:24:47 EDT 2019

/dev/dsp is a legacy sound driver device node for the obsolete OSS sound driver.  Newer software should be using either ALSA sound directly via /dev/snd/pcm* or via the PulseAudio sound server.  For timidity, try using -Os or just do not specify -O at all let it pick the default.  Either works fine on my Fedora 29 system.

Available output modes (-O, --output-mode option):
  -OO          Libao mode
  -Os          ALSA pcm device
  -Od          dsp device
  -Oj          JACK device
  -Ow          RIFF WAVE file
  -Or          Raw waveform data
  -Ou          Sun audio file
  -Oa          AIFF file
  -Ov          Ogg Vorbis
  -OF          FLAC
  -OS          Ogg Speex
  -Ol          List MIDI event
  -Om          Write MIDI file
  -OM          MOD -> MIDI file conversion