[Discuss] timidity

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Tue Jul 30 16:39:13 EDT 2019

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 12:11:39PM -0400, dan moylan wrote:
> neither specifying -Os nor not specifying -O seems to
> produce anything from the laptop audio.
>
> moylan mus[1109] timidity -A100,100 -Os mid/b0080.mid
> Playing mid/b0080.mid
> MIDI file: mid/b0080.mid
> Format: 1  Tracks: 1  Divisions: 10080
> Sequence: f1
> Playing time: ~45 seconds
> Notes cut: 0
> Notes lost totally: 0

But it clearly is playing (or at least thinks it is playing), which is
an improvement.  Maybe check your mixer settings and make sure the
sequencer device volume is not muted / set to an audible level?  -Os
indicates ALSA, so you can do this with the alsamixer program (as well
as likely half a dozen or more other ways).  [FWIW when I try this on
my desktop, there is no sequencer device shown, so perhaps not.]

Alternatively, maybe your sound card's sequencer device uses a wave table
"sound font" and you have none loaded.  If so you may need to load it
with awesfx.  This is likely required for SoundBlaster Live and
compatible cards.

Another possibility is that timidity and pulse audio are conflicting.
You could try stopping pulseaudio and see if it helps.  You could also
try to force alsa to reload with:

  alsa force-reload

-=-=-=-=-