[Discuss] timidity

dan moylan jdm at moylan.us
Tue Jul 30 19:38:57 EDT 2019

derrek writes:
>On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 12:11:39PM -0400, dan moylan wrote:
>> neither specifying -Os nor not specifying -O seems to
>> produce anything from the laptop audio.
>>
>> moylan mus[1109] timidity -A100,100 -Os mid/b0080.mid
>> Playing mid/b0080.mid
>> MIDI file: mid/b0080.mid
>> Format: 1  Tracks: 1  Divisions: 10080
>> Sequence: f1
>> Playing time: ~45 seconds
>> Notes cut: 0
>> Notes lost totally: 0

> But it clearly is playing (or at least thinks it is
> playing), which is an improvement.  Maybe check your mixer
> settings and make sure the sequencer device volume is not
> muted / set to an audible level?  -Os indicates ALSA, so you
> can do this with the alsamixer program (as well as likely
> half a dozen or more other ways).  [FWIW when I try this on
> my desktop, there is no sequencer device shown, so perhaps
> not.]

> Alternatively, maybe your sound card's sequencer device uses
> you may need to load it with awesfx.  This is likely
> required for SoundBlaster Live and compatible cards.

> Another possibility is that timidity and pulse audio are
> conflicting.  You could try stopping pulseaudio and see if
> it helps.  You could also try to force alsa to reload with:

>   alsa force-reload

i've been using timidity for years, and have no idea what
mixer or sequencer has been running, nor do i know how to
find out.  don't even know how to start or stop pulse audio
but ... and don't shoot me ... timidity now works.

what have i done?  nothing, so far as i know, except that on
sunday i did my weekly sudo dnf update.  i'm not sayin', but
it's all i can think of.

thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

ole dan (mystified, as usual)

j. daniel moylan