[Discuss] excessive memory usage in Ubuntu

Tom Luo mariolzx at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 16:26:36 EDT 2019

Hi, Dan,

Thanks for your response. I am in the process to setup a VNC server by
following this instruction:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-vnc-on-ubuntu-16-04

It almost works until I run into this problem when I try to connect to the
VNC server:

So as soon as i remote is with the VNC session (the xfce4 desktop is
displayed) but with errors.

xfce unable to determine failsafe session name. possible causes: xfconfd
isn’t running (D-Bus setup problem); environment variable $XDG*CONFIG*DIRS
is set incorrectly (must include… and so on.

I saw someone suggests this solution in the comments section in the
original post:

apt-get install gnome-panel gnome-settings-daemon metacity nautilus
gnome-terminal
I tried this command and then I run into the memory issue.
Even after I reboot this machine, the memory usage is still 98%.
I know 2GB memory is not great, but I just hope it can run a VNC server.
Right now, there is nothing I can do before I solve the memory issue.

Thanks a lot!

Tom Luo