[Discuss] excessive memory usage in Ubuntu

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Mon Sep 9 18:28:30 EDT 2019

Tom Luo wrote:
> Hi, Dan,
>
> Thanks for your response. I am in the process to setup a VNC server by
> following this instruction:
> https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-vnc-on-ubuntu-16-04
>
> It almost works until I run into this problem when I try to connect to the
> VNC server:
>
> So as soon as i remote is with the VNC session (the xfce4 desktop is
> displayed) but with errors.

OK, so VNC is working. That's good.

> xfce unable to determine failsafe session name. possible causes: xfconfd
> isn’t running (D-Bus setup problem); environment variable $XDG*CONFIG*DIRS
> is set incorrectly (must include… and so on.

Try replacing the startxfce4 command with
"xfce4-session-manager".

> apt-get install gnome-panel gnome-settings-daemon metacity nautilus
> gnome-terminal
> I tried this command and then I run into the memory issue.
> Even after I reboot this machine, the memory usage is still 98%.
> I know 2GB memory is not great, but I just hope it can run a VNC server.
> Right now, there is nothing I can do before I solve the memory issue.

----
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the
power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You
cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no
understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.
----

apt-get remove gnome-panel gnome-settings-daemon metacity
nautilus gnome-terminal

You don't need them, they won't make this easier or happier.

-dsr-