[Discuss] Encrypt /home and allow unattended boot?

Daniel Barrett dbarrett at blazemonger.com
Fri Sep 27 10:06:42 EDT 2019

I'm thinking about encrypting the /home partition on an Ubuntu box.
Is there a way to do it so I'm prompted for the decryption passphrase
when I log in or SSH in, not at boot time? I don't want to enter the
passphrase during the boot process because I want to permit unattended
reboots.

I've been reading about disk encryption (never done it before) but all
I see about unattended reboots is to place a decryption key on the
boot disk (ugh) which sort of defeats the purpose.

Dan

PS: I sincerely apologize for posting a Linux question, but I couldn't
think of any new RMS-related material.