[Discuss] Encrypt /home and allow unattended boot?

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 22:07:30 EDT 2019

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 11:28:42 -0400
Daniel Barrett <dbarrett at blazemonger.com> wrote:

> Do you know anything about the performance of large cryptmount
> filesystems?  Looks like a filesystem is stored in a single user disk
> file (~/crypto.fs), so it makes me wonder if it can handle (say)
> several terabytes without degrading. I did a quick google search for
> "cryptmount performance" but didn't see anything useful.

cryptmount is a wrapper around device mapper and dmcrypt so it doesn't
have any performance of its own. Whether or not cryptmount+dmcrypt is
going to have problems depends on your storage. If it's raw partitions
or logical volumes then it will be exactly the same as cryptsetup
+dmcrypt because it's the same dmcrypt.

If you're using file-backed block devices then it's anyone's guess. Too
many variables.

--
Rich Pieri