[Discuss] sound

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Apr 27 14:59:32 EDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 1:57 PM dan moylan <jdm at moylan.us> wrote:

> bill bogstad writes:
> >On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 10:47 AM dan moylan <jdm at moylan.us> wrote:

> >I don't know what your use cases are, but you might consider
> >a different distribution that might update differently if
> >this is important to you.
>
> no, i like fedora for a bunch of other reasons.
>
> >As for your son, if you decide to switch you can tell him
> >that you were running the Linux equivalent of a Windows
> >Insider preview edition and you have decided that wasn't the
> >best choice.
>
> fc31 is hardly the equivalent of a windows anything, and in
> spite of my sound issue, i'm happy with it.  switch?  to
> what, windows?  you are kidding, right?

Just a few sentences above you responded to my suggestion that you consider
other Linux distributions and said you like Fedora for other reasons.  I don't
know where you got the idea that I was suggesting that you switch to Windows.
I was merely trying to suggest that different Linux distributions have
different levels of
stability much like different release channels of Windows do.  Since
you prefer whatever
features you like about Fedora to (admittedly possibly theoretical)
stability advantages
of a different Linux distribution that isn't relevant for you.

As for your problem with updates sometimes breaking things, I'm not an
expert on Fedora;
but it seems that it is possible to lock packages to a particular
version while allowing others to
update normally   You might investigate this and lock the packages
that you have found to be problematic.
Alernatively, it looks like you can do a "dnf downgrade" to a specific
older version of a package if
it is still available online.  A work flow involving generating a list
of all packages/version installed
before you do a dnf update so you can downgrade things that break
might be helpful.

Good luck,
Bill Bogstad