[Discuss] sound

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Apr 27 15:08:45 EDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 2:59 PM Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:

> As for your problem with updates sometimes breaking things, I'm not an
> expert on Fedora;
> but it seems that it is possible to lock packages to a particular
> version while allowing others to
> update normally   You might investigate this and lock the packages
> that you have found to be problematic.
> Alernatively, it looks like you can do a "dnf downgrade" to a specific
> older version of a package if
> it is still available online.  A work flow involving generating a list
> of all packages/version installed
> before you do a dnf update so you can downgrade things that break
> might be helpful.

Just after I sent the response above, I thought to myself that what
might be nice
in this case is something like MS Windows restore points which allow
reverting to
a previous state of the OS.  A quick web search found at least one
program (timeshift)
which claims to be able to do this for several different Linux
distributions.  I have
zero experience with it, but it sounds like a (class of) program(s)
that would be useful
in a lot of cases.  When I get a chance, I might set it up on my
personal machines.
If it works well, I would be much more willing to upgrade to newer
releases on my
daily use machines.  Does anybody out there have experience with timeshift or
similar programs for Linux?

Bill Bogstad