[Discuss] Updates

jbk jbk at kjkelra.com
Mon Apr 27 17:26:23 EDT 2020

On 4/27/20 3:18 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 03:08:45PM -0400, Bill Bogstad wrote:
>> Just after I sent the response above, I thought to myself that what
>> might be nice
>> in this case is something like MS Windows restore points which allow
>> reverting to
>> a previous state of the OS.  A quick web search found at least one
>> program (timeshift)
>> which claims to be able to do this for several different Linux
>> distributions.  I have
>> zero experience with it, but it sounds like a (class of) program(s)
>> that would be useful
>> in a lot of cases.  When I get a chance, I might set it up on my
>> personal machines.
>> If it works well, I would be much more willing to upgrade to newer
>> releases on my
>> daily use machines.  Does anybody out there have experience with timeshift or
>> similar programs for Linux?
> Fedora Silverblue:
>
> https://fedoramagazine.org/what-is-silverblue/
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkrGij4LNC0

I don't know about the above mentioned utilities but I do
know that there is a keep cache option to the Fedora updater
that allows you to keep a prior version cached locally. It
takes up space and I don't know how fine a granularity it
can be tuned.

MS does similar if you want roll back capability.

--
Jim Kelly-Rand
jbk at kjkelra.com