[Discuss] Updates

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Apr 27 17:35:13 EDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 05:26:23PM -0400, jbk wrote:
> On 4/27/20 3:18 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 03:08:45PM -0400, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> >> Just after I sent the response above, I thought to myself that what
> >> might be nice
> >> in this case is something like MS Windows restore points which allow
> >> reverting to
> >> a previous state of the OS.  A quick web search found at least one
> >> program (timeshift)
> >
> > Fedora Silverblue:
> >
> > https://fedoramagazine.org/what-is-silverblue/
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkrGij4LNC0
> >
> I don't know about the above mentioned utilities but I do
> know that there is a keep cache option to the Fedora updater
> that allows you to keep a prior version cached locally. It
> takes up space and I don't know how fine a granularity it
> can be tuned.

Yes, you can try using "dnf downgrade" but you have to know the exact
package name(s) to downgrade to fix whatever issue you may be having.
Fedora Silverblue is an entirely new kind of distribution, based on
RPM (and rpm-ostree instead of dnf), but really using a
snapshot/rollback system for the entire OS image.  It is like doing a
"git checkout" for the entire root filesystem and booting into that.
So you can really "rollback" to the old version very easily, or just
boot temporarily into a different "git hash".