[Discuss] System/Root icons on MATE desktop after login

epp at mcom.com epp at mcom.com
Wed Aug 26 16:40:16 EDT 2020

On one of my systems, when logging in to the MATE desktop for the first
time each day, three system icons appear on the desktop: 'boot', 'home'
and 'Filesystem root'. The directory that appears when the 'home' icon
is selected is /home that is immediately above individual user home
directories. These icons do not appear on the other system for some reason.

If I log out of MATE or reboot after a kernel upgrade, then log back in,
these three icons are gone. If I turn on the system the next day and
login, the icons are back.

Checked Google, Duck Duck Go, et al and didn't find anything on this.
Under Preferences/Desktop/Advanced, it has check boxes for visible
shortcuts: Home, Trash, Computer and Network. None of these are checked,
although the regular Computer, user's Home and Trash icons appear on the
desktop as expected.

I don't see any other desktop setting that would otherwise control the
icons.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.