[Discuss] System/Root Icons on MATE desktop after login

epp at mcom.com epp at mcom.com
Wed Aug 26 16:47:34 EDT 2020

(re-posting for clarification)

On one of my systems, when logging in to the MATE desktop for the first
time each day, three system icons appear on the desktop: 'boot', 'home'
and 'Filesystem root'. The directory that appears when the 'home' icon
is selected is /home that is immediately above individual user home
directories. These icons do not appear on the other system for some reason.

If I log out of MATE or reboot after a kernel upgrade, then log back in,
these three icons are gone. If I turn on the system the next day and
login, the icons are back.

Checked Google, Duck Duck Go, et al and didn't find anything on this.
Under Preferences/Desktop/Advanced, it has check boxes for visible
shortcuts: Home, Trash, Computer and Network. None of these are checked,
although the regular Computer, user's Home and Trash icons appear on the
desktop as expected.

I don't see any other desktop setting that would otherwise control the
icons. I do not feel that these icons should be on the desktop,
especially root and can't locate any other setting to turn them off, yet
it's strange that these same icons are not appearing on the other system.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.