[Discuss] Using thunderbird for sending gmail

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 16:20:16 EDT 2020

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 15:56:15 -0400
Randy Cole <randyokc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also need to download all my gmail emails as I am bumping quota
> constantly (since I am a pack rat) and cannot get it configured to
> work! Used to use Eudora with gmail IMAP4 & it worked swell, but that
> has all been obsoleted.  Preference is to store stuff in
> non-proprietary format, download all attachments, and retain folder
> structure and original mailbox header (as i forward my spam to my
> main email).  I think I most recently tried getmail with no joy.

This getmail configuration has been working for me for at least a few
years. getmail because it has the delete_after option to prune old mail
(last I knew fetchmail does not have an option like this). procmail is
configured to use Dovecot's deliver program but you can also have
getmail deliver directly to Maildirs or mbox files instead.

Reading and sending mail I mostly use Sylpheed.

[options]
read_all = False
delete_after = 7
verbose = 0