[Discuss] Wireguard [Was Re: dovecot: "Disconnected (no auth attempts in 0 secs)"?]

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Fri Dec 18 11:23:53 EST 2020

On 12/18/20 8:08 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> Another is to run a full mail server on the remote VM, and use
> it as a relay for your house mail server.

I've thought about that, but like the idea of the e-mail not being
in-the-clear in a VM. Not that my personal e-mail is a juicy target for
the TLAs, but on the principal of it.

The relay idea I haven't thought through very far. I want to be able to
abuse my server by storing too much stuff there and that is cheap to do
on a physical disk but costs more in the cloud, and I'm more comfortable
with the failure modes of a local disk than I am VM storage.

I could have the relaying always drain everything away, but I also want
access to the e-mail both when I am at home and when I am not. At the
moment I have my internal DNS for mail.borg.org pointing at the local
NATed address, while the external points to the external static IP
address (of my both-more-expensive-and-crappier-by-the-week DSL). I
suppose I could do a dynamic DNS to reach the server from the outside,
and duplicate it internally, too.

Hmmm.

-kb