[Discuss] Wireguard [Was Re: dovecot: "Disconnected (no auth attempts in 0 secs)"?]

John Byrnes john at johnbyrnes.info
Fri Dec 18 21:59:17 EST 2020

On 18.12.2020 07:52, Kent Borg wrote:

>Being one of those weirdos who runs his own e-mail servers, I've been
>getting frustrated that there doesn't seem to be an affordable way to
>get a reliable static IP address at home. I have been thinking the way
>to do it might be to still run the server at home, but tunnel to a
>static IP address at someplace like Linode.

I was thinking about doing exactly this -- my email is currently running on a
fairly low cost dedicated server, but I was considering trying to move the
actual email server in-house and using a VPN tunnel to a lower cost VPS with a
static IP.

Are there any gotchas with this approach? I would think only exposing SMTP on
the remote computer would be the best thing to do, and make everything else
only accessible via VPN.

Happy Friday!
John