[Discuss] Dealing with Windows 10 after 15 years away

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Fri Jul 24 16:06:39 EDT 2020

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 04:13:51PM -0400, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 08:23:43 -0400
> Doug <sweetser at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > My question for the group is this: if you prefer life in Unix but
> > need to use a Windows box, are there a few programs you find are
> > necessary to stay sane in a Windows environment?
>
> vcXsrv and WSL.
> Season to taste.

I mostly agree with this; but I will say that depending on what the
machine is for, I will prefer to dual boot and just choose whichever
OS is more suitable for what I'm doing.  I have several non-work
machines (i.e. ones not provided by my employer) and they have
different specs for different purposes.  But all Windows installs on
all of them have WSL and vcXsrv, because even if I'm just browsing,
occasionally I'll want to do something else briefly, and Windows sucks
for pretty much everything other than content consumption (games
and/or web browsing, or very similar things).  If I'm going to be
doing anything I would classify as computing, I'll boot into Linux on
the dual machine.

-=-=-=-=-